Diabetes is a critical ailment that has affected millions of people throughout the world. The main reason for this condition is when your body stops producing insulin or produces inadequate amounts of this hormone that leads to an increase in blood sugar levels in the body. Food is one of the main concerns in this disease. A diabetes diet is strictly limited to only those foods that help regulate blood sugar and doesn’t cause a spike in its levels.
Fenugreek is one such ancient herb that can even reverse the condition. A diabetic would greatly benefit by making it a part of their diet. It is a superfood that contains high amounts of phytochemical components and fiber that helps maintains healthy levels of blood glucose in the body. In this article, we will take an in-depth view of the Fenugreek nutritional profile and how it benefits a diabetes patient.
About Diabetes And Its Management
Diabetes is identified as one of the largest killers throughout the globe. It is a metabolic disorder that is characterized by instabilities in glucose levels in the blood. The disease can happen in various different forms that include prediabetes, Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes, and gestational diabetes.
An unhealthy lifestyle, improper food, sedentary lifestyle, genetics, stress, and misdiagnosis are the major factors that lead to the ailment. If ignored, it can even lead to kidney damage, weight gain, higher chances of heart attack, and stroke.
Proper diet and lifestyle are very important to control this disease. A person who suffers from the condition has to be very careful about what they eat. People who see constantly high levels of blood sugar are given a special diabetes diet.
What Should Be The Ideal Diet Of A Diabetic?
The recommended meal plan for treating diabetes is a balanced combination of fiber, healthy fats, and protein. Sugary goods, trans-fats, and high carb foods are a strict no in a diabetes meal plan. Fast digesting simple carbs like refined and processed foods should be replaced by slow-digesting complex carbs like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, etc.
Foods that have high antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds, fiber, etc. are beneficial. There are several herbal concoctions that help manage blood glucose levels naturally. Fenugreek water is one such miracle concoction. When consumed on an empty stomach in the morning can lower elevated blood glucose levels considerably.
What Is Fenugreek?
Fenugreek is a type of plant that is cultivated mostly in western Asia, North Africa, Mediterranean regions, Europe and South Asia. Its Scientific Name is Trigonella foenum-graecum. It is known by several names such as Methi, Mentulu Ventayam, Uluva, Methi, etc.
The plant has edible leaves and tiny brown seeds that are used in the preparation of medicine. The seeds are traditionally used for their therapeutic and flavor. The leaves and bitter-flavoring seeds and leaves are both incredibly helpful to cure diabetes.
How does Fenugreek help In The Treatment Of Diabetes?
Fenugreek seeds are one of the highly advised ingredients that is helpful in both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. The high fiber in the seeds slows down the digestion process. It also delays the absorption of sugar and carbs in the body. Fenugreek seeds have several active compounds, phytochemical components, and necessary nutrients that include manganese, yamogenin, trigonelline, calcium, chlorine, potassium, copper, magnesium, iron, and zinc.
The seeds can even enhance the way in which the body utilizes sugar in the body. It also increases the level of insulin produced in the body. The blood sugar lowering properties of fenugreek seeds makes it highly beneficial in the treatment of diabetes. Ten grams of soaked fenugreek seeds consumed daily can give a modest reduction in fasting glucose in type 2 diabetes.
Health Benefits Of Fenugreek In Diabetes
Fenugreek seeds have an amazing nutritional composition that works in various ways to support diabetes health. Here is the complete list of how fenugreek can prove to be beneficial in your body.
1. Improves Digestion
Regular consumption of fenugreek is helpful in mild to borderline diabetes cases. It is rich in soluble fiber that reduces the digestion process in the body. This action increases the absorption rate of sugar in the body. The result is a successful reduction of the amount of sugar level in the blood.
2. Improves Glucose Tolerance
Another way in which fenugreek helps in diabetes is that it improves glucose tolerance and lowers the cholesterol levels in the body efficiently. Adding a hundred grams of fenugreek seed powder to the meal of diabetics who are on insulin-supplements shows an effective reduction in the fasting blood sugar levels. It was seen that when Type 2 diabetes consumed 15 gms of fenugreek powder, they experienced a reduction in their post-meal glucose levels.
3. Reduces Cholesterol Levels
Fenugreek also manages diabetes by reducing the levels of low density or bad cholesterol in the body. It also effectively reduces triglycerides and assist in the production of high density or good cholesterol in the body.
Other Uses Of Fenugreek Seeds
- In addition to improving your symptoms of diabetes and even reversing them, fenugreek is an excellent herb for overall health and wellness. It can safeguard the liver from the adverse effects of toxins.
- The scientific studies carried out on fenugreek seeds showed that it has the ability to halt the development of cancer-causing cells in the body. These seeds work as an anti-cancer herb. It can be beneficial in the treatment of various types of cancers in the body.
- It has also been reported that regular consumption of fenugreek seeds helps alleviate the signs of dysmenorrhea. This condition leads to acute pain in menstrual cycles.
In What Ways Can You Use Fenugreek?
Fenugreek is a miracle food for the cure of diabetes. Its seeds have a nutty and bitter flavor. They are mostly used in the preparation of Indian recipes. Here are a few ways by which you can get the benefits of this herb. These includes:
- Drinking Fenugreek water once daily on an empty stomach
- Some people hesitate from eating fenugreek due to its bitter taste. In that case, you can add Fenugreek in whole or powdered form to prepare curries, sauces, pickles, gravies, etc. In that way, it will mask the bitter taste of fenugreek seeds and give you the desired health benefits.
- Add fenugreek flour to baked items, like bread that may lower insulin resistance in people.
- You can also add soaked fenugreek seeds in oats dalia to make it even healthier.
- Sprinkle powdered fenugreek on your yogurt.
- Consuming Fenugreek supplements in the form of liquid or concentrated pills.
- Soak fenugreek seeds in hot water overnight and swallow them with water on the next day morning.
- Another way to consume fenugreek seeds is to sprout them. Taking it in this form improves the digestibility of food. It leads to better absorption and assimilation of nutrients during digestion. It also enables a slow and steady release of glucose in the blood.
- In the form of tea
- In the preparation of your skin creams for topical application
People who are planning to consume Fenugreek in the form of supplements should always ask their doctor to learn about the right dosage and frequency of consumption.
Effective Homemade Remedies To Cure Diabetes
1. Fenugreek tea
If you are a diabetes patient, you should substitute your morning tea with Fenugreek tea. This diabetes-friendly drink will give you a feeling of fullness and prevent a spike in blood glucose levels naturally.
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup of water
- Boil the water.
- Add fenugreek seeds and leaves in it.
- Steep for ten minutes.
- Strain the beverage
- Enjoy it warm two times a day.
2. Herbal Fenugreek Powder
This is another easy way to manage your blood glucose levels. The recipe requires making a mixture of four potent blood sugar lowering ingredients.
- 1 tbsp neem powder
- 1 tbsp fenugreek powder
- 1 tbsp Jamun seed powder
- 1 tbsp bitter melon powder
- Mix all the above ingredients.
- Store them in a glass bowl and keep it in a dry and cool place for daily use.
- Consume one tsp of the mixture with water twice daily (before meals).
3. Fenugreek Tincture
A tincture is another way to get the benefits of Fenugreek in diabetes.
- Two tbsp fenugreek seeds
- Two tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
- One cup of boiling water
- Boil water
- Add fenugreek seeds and leaves in it.
- Allow it to steep for thirty minutes.
- Strain and collect the resultant mixture in a cup. Your tincture is ready.
- Consume half a tsp of the tincture three times a day to get the best outcome.
4. Fenugreek Water
This is the commonly used and effortless way to reap the benefits of Fenugreek to control diabetes.
- 2 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 cups of water
- Fill a container with water.
- Add fenugreek seeds in it.
- Keep it aside for one night.
- Strain it and drink the resultant water on an empty stomach the next morning. Use the residual soaked methi seeds in curries, gravies, etc.
- Repeat this process daily for a month to reduce your blood sugar level.
5. Sprouted Fenugreek Seeds
Sprouting the herb is a way to enhance its digestion and absorption in the body.
- One tbsp fenugreek seeds
- One cups of water
- Warm the water.
- Add methi seeds in it and keep it overnight.
- On the next day, strain the contents and discard excess water from it.
- Take a clean and damp cloth.
- Wrap the seeds in it.
- Wait for three to four days to let the seeds get sprout.
- You can eat them raw or add to your vegetable and fruit salad.
What Is The Ideal Dose Of Fenugreek To Treat Diabetes?
The suggested dose of fenugreek depends on your age, physical build, and severity of the health condition. It ranges between 2.5 grams to 15 grams.
In a study conducted to find the impact of fenugreek on diabetes, it was seen that people who consumed 12.5 grams of fenugreek powder showed a positive outcome. They saw remarkable improvement in blood sugar levels in the body.
You can also prepare an herbal mixture of dried Amla powder, turmeric powder, and fenugreek powder in equal ratios. Consume one tsp of this mixture three times a day with water. It is an efficient way to keep diabetes under control.
People who don’t like the pungent taste of fenugreek can consume the herb in capsule form. 500 mg Fenugreek capsule once a day can give you a visible reduction in blood sugar levels. It is important to note that the results are dependent on the quality of the ingredient present in the supplement.
Potential Risks Associated With Fenugreek
There is a certain section of people who may be prone to risks when consumed fenugreek seeds. Expecting mothers should not use this herb as it can cause uterine contractions in their body. It can induce early labor in them. Therefore, they should limit their consumption of Fenugreek to cooking only.
Fenugreek is safe for lactating women and those who have hormone-sensitive cancers.
Prolonged consumption of fenugreek can even lead to a build-up of body odor from the armpits. This is due to the presence of a chemical compound called dimethyl pyrazine in fenugreek.
Another risk associated with Fenugreek consumption is that it can lead to allergic reactions in people. People who have any kind of food allergies should refrain from including fenugreek in your diet. It can adversely affect the absorption of oral medicines. Also, keep a gap of a couple of hours between the consumption of fenugreek and these medicines.
Side Effects Linked To Fenugreek Consumption
Normally, the consumption of fenugreek seeds is considered to be safe. However, in a few cases, it can lead to troubles.
- Fenugreek can show the same properties of estrogen hormone if a woman is identified with hormone-sensitive cancers.
- Keeping in mind that Fenugreek is a high fiber food if a person consumes it in excess, then it can lead to bloating and gas.
- Fenugreek can even react with various medications. It can be helpful in the treatment of diabetes and blood clotting disorders. So, if you are on any of these medications, then fenugreek can bring you discomfort.
You need to note the Food and Drug Administration does not approve fenugreek supplements. It may have any unexplored side effects too.
Conventional Treatments To Cure Diabetes
For best management of diabetes, you can’t simply rely only on fenugreek seeds. It also requires you to maintain healthy blood sugar levels and a healthy lifestyle. Incorporating these positive changes in lifestyle will improve your health in numerous ways.
- Stick to a diet that is very low in processed foods and rich in fiber. This includes fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
- Choose only healthy fats and lean protein sources
- Abstain from highly processed meat
- Avoid high amounts of sugary foods, sweetened beverages, and junk foods
- Exercise five days a week for at least thirty minutes daily.
- Consult your doctor about taking medications like insulin hormone to bring down blood sugar to healthy levels. If you are already on medications, then keep following the routine diligently.
Before you incorporate any new modifications to the existing diet, medications, or lifestyle, you should check with the doctor. He will help you with the best-personalized treatment and activities that work best in the administration of diabetes.
You may find it quite overwhelming to manage diabetes. However, by keeping the necessary precautions and taking mindful steps, you can easily manage the disorder. Fenugreek is an excellent supplement that will assist your ongoing medication and speed up the recovery process.
Along with balancing blood sugar levels, it can also protect you from other major health issues. You should consult an expert to learn about the right dosage and method of consumption based on the severity of your condition.
If you liked this post, then do share it with your friends on social media. Also, you can write to us with any of your suggestions, comments, and queries. We will be happy to address them soon.