The GM Diet Plan was designed by General Motors in 1985 for its employees with the objective to improve their health, efficiency and productivity of employees. This diet was developed in conjunction with the United States Department of Agriculture, and the FDA (Food and Drug Administration). The results of the diet were amazing. In just a few days of following the diet, it resulted in better efficiency, confidence and energy in the employees.
The GM Diet Plan was successful in reducing the excess weight of employees but it is not supported by nutritionists and health experts around the world. According to them, the diet is convenient to follow and gives immediate weight reduction but can lead to various types of side effects. Let us learn more about the GM diet and whether or not it is a safe weight loss tool for people.
What is the GM Diet?
GM’s Diet is a unique seven-day diet plan that was formulated exclusively for General Motor’s employees and their family members to deal with their health, and weight issues. The best part of the diet is that it did not starve people. It allowed employees to eat wisely to shed their excess body weight. Candidates who followed this diet showed considerable weight loss results in just a week.
The diet was thoroughly verified at JHRC (John Hopkins Research Centre). After looking at the astounding results, the panel of directors at General Motors Corporation officially accepted the diet for distribution. It became popular as a quick way to shed body fat and get in shape.
The GM diet is available separately for both non-vegetarian and non-vegetarian people. Both these versions are highly efficient and popular. Non-vegetarians can switch between the two versions over a period of two to three months and observe miraculous outcomes on health and skin.
Principal Of GM Diet Plan
The GM diet works on the principle of consuming a fixed amount of simple nutrients for four meals a day to help your body burn calories than storing it as fat in the body. All the foods that you eat over a span of seven days aim at burning calories. It also helps keep energy levels constant.
This 7-day plan provides weight reduction, detoxification and body cleansing advantages. It aims at promoting the fitness and wellness of employees. In one week, you can expect five to seven kilograms of body weight. In addition to it, you will also benefit from total body detoxification, body cleansing, relaxation, and mental peace. People who have followed this diet plan showed enhanced emotions and attitudes.
GM Diet Plan for Vegetarian
The GM diet plan is the same for vegetarians and non-vegetarians for the first four days. On the fifth day, vegetarians are allowed to eat beef. In India, beef is not legally permitted to consume so meat-eaters can substitute it with other forms of meat, fish, and eggs.
Vegans can replace dairy items with soy milk or almond milk. Alcohol is not permitted in both versions. In place of beef, vegetarians can eat protein-rich foods such as cottage cheese, peas, beans, lentil soup etc.
GM Diet for Non-Vegetarian
Non-vegetarian GM Diet is the original diet plan proposed by GM Corporation. It has been highly successful throughout the world. This diet is majorly designed for people in western regions of the world where beef is widely enjoyed and popular daily food. It is very important to drink eight to twelve glasses of water on all seven days of the diet to effectively eliminate toxins and other harmful elements from the body.
Sample GM Diet Plan
- Fruits are a rich source of vitamins, fiber and minerals. Consume them in large amounts. Include more of muskmelons and watermelons for their high fiber and water content. Apples, papaya and oranges are also an ideal inclusion in the diet.
- High fiber content of the diet brings satiety and fullness and reduce calorie intake.
- Avoid bananas.
|one medium-sized apple, an orange and a few plums
|half a bowl of freshly cut muskmelon
|one bowl of watermelon
|one large-sized mosambi
|one cup of pomegranate and muskmelon salad
|half a cup of watermelon
- Eat only vegetables. You can make them more palatable by cooking them in any form. Do not use oil for cooking.
- After a low-carb diet on day one, this day supplies you with adequate carbohydrate levels in the form of potatoes. Consume them only in boiled form
- The second day of the diet provides you the necessary protein from peas, and fiber, vitamins and minerals from beans, and carrots.
- No fruits allowed
|one cup of boiled potatoes
|half a bowl of sliced cucumber
|one cup of capsicum, spinach, lettuce, and cucumber
|half a cup diced carrots along with one glass of refreshing lemon water
|one cup of boiled green peas and broccoli
- Fruits are re-introduced in the diet and it makes your meals full of fiber, minerals, and vitamins. Avoid bananas.
- You can continue eating vegetables except for potatoes
|half a cup of muskmelon
|one cup of pear or pineapple
|one cup of spinach, capsicum, lettuce, and cucumber
|half a cup diced cucumber with lemon water
|one cup of boiled vegetables
- It is allowed to eat bananas on this day. Being a rich source of pectin, calcium and potassium, bananas aid in digestion and provide instant energy to your body. You have to consume eight bananas throughout the day. If you are lactose intolerant, then you can replace milk with soy milk.
- Add a big glass of milk in all the three major meals of the day.
- Include vegetable soup in the diet.
- Ignore sweet potatoes and potatoes.
|two medium-sized bananas
|one medium-sized banana
|chocolate banana milkshake made from (two bananas, a glass of skimmed milk, and a pinch of cocoa powder
|two medium-sized bananas
|one medium-sized banana and one glass of milk
|one glass of milk
- Vegetarians can eat brown rice cooked in minimal oil in lunch. They are a rich source of fiber.
- Non-vegetarians can eat half a kg of baked skinless chicken, with six tomatoes. Chicken is a good source of lean protein. You can also eat fish in place of chicken as they are packed with omega-3 fatty acids. Tomatoes help in the digestion of meals.
- Avoid sweet potatoes and potatoes
- You can consume one bowl of vegetable soup in your evening or mid-morning snack.
|half a cup of brown rice with a combination of sautéed vegetables
|a single bowl of brown rice with tomato and half a cup of sauted vegetables
- Include uncooked or cooked (boiled) vegetables.
- Where vegetarians can eat brown rice, non-vegetarians can consume a lean protein source such as chicken breast, or fish.
- Consume fresh salads without heavy dressing
- Non-vegetarians can eat half a kg of baked skinless chicken, with potatoes, and tomatoes.
- Avoid all fruits, sweet potatoes and potatoes
|one glass carrot juice
|half a cup of brown rice with half a cup of vegetables
|one cup of sliced cucumber
|half a bowl of brown rice with half a cup of vegetables/ cottage cheese/ chicken
- You can eat brown rice and vegetables as it gives you the much-needed energy to the body
- High-fiber in fruits help detoxify your system
- Avoid vegetables like sweet potatoes and potatoes
- Avoid high-calorie fruits such as pear, banana, mango and cherry.
|one glass of apple or orange juice
|half a cup of brown rice and sautéed veggies
|one cup of berries or watermelon
|one bowl of vegetable soup
Benefits of GM Diet Plan for Weight Loss
The efficacy and outcome of the GM Diet depend on how diligently you follow the diet and maintain the lifestyle even after its completion. In addition to healthy weight reduction, there are various other health advantages of this wonder weight loss program.
- It doesn’t starve you. You are allowed to eat four meals a day.
- It is a proven way to give you immediate weight reduction without doing any crash diet.
- Helps in complete detoxification and cleansing of the body
- Gives you mental peace and relaxation
- Plenty of fruits and vegetables refreshes and recharges your body
- Adds a natural shine to your face
- This therapeutic diet heals your body and subsides your emotional stress.
- The healthy and moderate inclusion of foods pampers your taste buds throughout the seven days of the diet.
- It is designed with simple and easily accessible dishes without any fancy recipes or ingredients
- causes weight loss of ten to seventeen lbs after seven days
- Enhances your mood
- Due to plenty of fiber content, it boosts metabolism and aids in digestion too
- As the diet is easy to digest, it is effective at treating digestive issues such as constipation, acidity, bloating, flatulence, irritable bowel syndrome etc.
- By giving you a fitter body, the diet aids in enhancing your appearance, confidence and self-esteem
Things To Note When You Are On The GM Diet
The GM diet is not the right diet for daily consumption. After completing the seven-day diet plan, you should give a break of around eight to ten days before you go for the next round of the diet. This next round is optional and not mandatory for everyone. It can be done by those who want to shed more weight on their body.
To make the diet more effective, it is advised to incorporate twenty to thirty minutes of simple to moderate levels of exercise in the diet. It is allowed to begin your exercise routine from day 4 as that is when you start to consume carbs (in the form of brown rice etc.) in your diet. It gives you the much-needed energy to perform the workout.
Abstain from high-intensity strength training workout as it can leave you tired and exhausted and may prevent you from completing the diet plan successfully. Only do simple exercises to keep yourself active, calm, and relaxed throughout the day. To prevent an increase of toxins, and urea content in the body, it is very important to keep yourself adequately hydrated. Eat more of fruit-infused drinks, vegetable soups etc. for efficient hydration and detoxification.
Who Should Not Follow The GM Diet?
GM diet isn’t appropriate for a few groups of people that include:
- expecting, and breastfeeding mothers as it may not provide them with much-needed nutrition.
- people who suffer from cardiac and gastric issues need to consult their doctor before implementing this diet.
What Are The Side Effects Of Implementing GM Diet?
If you do not adhere to the rules of the GM Diet, it may cause you some side effects too:
- it has high fiber and low fats, protein, and carbs.
- it slows down the metabolic system in the body. You may observe sudden weight loss, but those gains are harder to maintain.
- as your body needs a lot of fluids for metabolism, it can leave you dehydrated.
- due to suda den change in regular diet, you may observe slight negative reactions that include muscle weakness, headache, dehydration, and fatigue.
- as the diet lacks an adequate amount of protein, consuming a protein-deficient diet for seven days can result in the degeneration of cells.
- may cause stiffness in your muscles along with fatigue
- due to being a low-calorie diet, it can even deprive you of energy
- it can reduce your fitness and performance
- if you fail to follow the right diet after the completion of the 7-days GM diet plan, you may regain your lost weight
Who Should Implement A GM Diet?
- The GM Diet is ideal for all ladies who want to shed excess weight that they have put on during their pregnancy. This diet is an ideal instrument to get rid of the unwanted depositions of fat on different parts of the body.
- It is also suitable for all those professionals who have a busy work-life schedule and can’t take out time to join any weight loss class or gym.
- The GM diet is ideal for all those overweight and obese people who want to see a quick reduction of five to eight kilograms of body weight in just seven days of time.
- The diet is suitable for all those men and women who want to get a fit body to prepare for any competition without compromising on their health.
Risks Associated With The GM Diet
- GM diet is not a balanced diet. You can see immediate weight loss, but the long-term impact of this diet is damaging. It has been seen that once people resume their normal diet, they tend to gain more weight than what they have lost.
- As the diet disallows people to eat their regular staple food, it isn’t sustainable.
- For weight management, you would need good eating habits along with a balanced diet. The GM diet is not a feasible and sustainable weight loss solution as it lacks adequate amounts of all nutrients that your body needs on a regular basis.
The main principle of the GM diet is to consume low-calorie and complex carbs foods. Though, focusing on these foods assures you weight loss but deprives you of the other necessary nutrients that your body requires for its sound development. The GM diet is not the long-term weight loss for people as a nutritional deficiency that develops due to the diet that can lead to malfunctioning of vital organs in the body. This makes it tough to sustain the healthy weight you have achieved from this diet.
If you liked this post, then do share it with your friends on social media. Also, you can write to us with any of your suggestions, comments, and queries. We will be happy to address them soon.
This post was last modified on July 10, 2021 10:24 am