Exfoliation makes our skin healthy and bright. A face/body scrub exfoliates the skin, removes the dead skin cells, and exposes the flawless skin present underneath it. In place of the chemical-enriched store-bought scrubs, you can create your homemade face and body scrub.
Coffee is the commonly used ingredient that almost everyone has in their kitchen. It not just awakens and energizes you but also works as a fabulous natural scrub. Being rich in antioxidants, coffee can be used alone or with other natural ingredients to make your smooth tight, bright, and smooth.
So, let us look at some of the easiest and effective DIY coffee scrubs.
What Is The Need To Use A Body Scrub?
Cleaning and moisturizing are not sufficient to get that lasting natural radiance on the skin. The dead skin cells and tissues deposited on the upper epidermal layer of the skin can make it look lifeless. You need more than daily cleansing. This is where “exfoliation” comes.
A body scrub serves as an exfoliator that buffs away dead skin cells. It nourishes the skin and makes it smooth. Natural and homemade exfoliants help cleanse, soften, and brighten the skin. Thus, Exfoliation is an essential step that you should incorporate into your daily skincare routine.
How Does Exfoliation Benefit You?
Exfoliation boosts the appearance and health of the skin in various ways.
- Body scrubs or exfoliators are made with special natural ingredients that when you rub on the skin helps in improving blood circulation. You will notice that your skin becomes fresh, clean, and smooth.
- A scrub deeply cleans the skin. It removes the trapped dirt, dust, sweat, other types of impurities that lie within.
- It eliminates the dead skin and gives you vibrant skin.
- More than more scrubbing, a good exfoliator can destress you. When you massage a body scrub on the skin, it can amazingly relax your body and uplifts your mood. This, the scrubbing action, has a great calming or destressing effect on the body.
- Regular exfoliation also encourages the production of collagen in the skin that keeps it radiant, and firm.
- Scrubbing your skin with a gentle exfoliator enhances the effectiveness of topical treatments. This implies that if you exfoliate the skin before application of the cream, then it will penetrate deeply into the skin.
What Does Science Say About Coffee As A Scrub?
Several studies have been performed on coffee that shows its remarkable beautifying properties.
- Coffee has got marvelous skin-aiding properties that make it a wonderful beauty ingredient. It has polyphenols, like chlorogenic acids, that is seen to effectively reduce hyperpigmentation.
- Coffee is an incredible protective anti-photoaging agent. Its application on the skin prevents UVB-induced photoaging/suntan due to prolonged exposure to the sun. Improved circulation implies your cells get more nutrients and oxygen that makes the skin glow. In this way, it can lessen the appearance of dark spots, acne, and wrinkles on the skin.
- Application of coffee-enriched face scrubs and masks promote deep skin cleansing and renewal of new, and healthy skin.
- Coffee is loaded with antioxidants, which makes it look younger. Studies have shown that topical application of coffee fights against free radicals and delays aging. It significantly improves fine lines, pigmentation, wrinkles, and overall appearance of the skin.
- Coffee also has the ability to is remove excess moisture from the skin. This is beneficial for people who have oily skin.
- According to these studies, the presence of caffeine in coffee aids in reducing the appearance of cellulite on the skin. So, when you topically apply coffee to the skin, it reduces puffiness on the skin and makes it look firmer, even-toned, and smoother.
- The application of coffee gives a nutritional boost to your skin. It energizes and revitalizes your tired skin and makes it lively.
DIY Coffee Scrub Recipes
Coffee is a heavenly beverage that fills you with immense happiness. It also works as a fabulous skincare agent. The best part of DIY coffee scrubs is that it needs only a few ingredients to prepare it.
1. Coffee And Brown Sugar Scrub
This is an excellent scrub that exfoliates and tightens your skin. It has olive oil that nourishes and hydrates your skin. Packed with antioxidants, the scrub boosts your skin health and brightens it.
- half a cup of freshly grounded coffee beans
- half a cup of powdered brown sugar
- half a cup of coconut oil
- one teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients to it.
- Mix them properly to get the right consistency.
- Apply it on the face.
- Leave it for thirty minutes.
- Rinse it off with luke-warm water.
You can easily store the remaining product in a glass jar at a cool and dry place for a month.
2. Coffee and Yogurt Scrub
Coffee and yogurt are an excellent combination that cleans and brightens the skin. Yogurt has beneficial skin beneficial probiotic bacteria that make your skin nourished, supple, and youthful.
- 1 tablespoon of powdered coffee
- 1 tablespoon of homemade thick yogurt (after draining excess water.)
- Take a bowl and add coffee powder and yogurt to it.
- Prepare a lump-free and smooth paste.
- Apply it to the skin.
- Leave it on for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Wash away with luke-warm water.
3. Coffee And Honey Scrub
Honey is a potent emollient. It possesses potent antibacterial properties. It heals and hydrates the skin. The addition of yogurt in the mixture nourishes the skin and locks in the necessary moisture.
- 2 tbsp of coffee grounds
- 3 tbsp of full-cream homemade yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsps. of cocoa powder
- Mix all the ingredients until it gets combined properly.
- Make a thick and smooth paste.
- Apply it evenly on the face.
- After twenty minutes, rinse it off with luke-warm water.
4. Coffee And Cinnamon Scrub
The scrub contains ingredients that gently exfoliates dead skin cells from the skin. It makes the skin appear healthy with every use. Where cinnamon protects the skin from infections, coffee removes excess oil from it.
- half a cup of coffee ground
- one-fourth cup of coconut oil
- half a cup of sugar
- one teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients to it.
- Mix everything well till each ingredient combines completely.
- Apply it to the skin and leave it not more than 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water.
5. Coffee And Banana Scrub
Banana makes your skin soft and supple. Kosher salt is an effective anti-bacterial agent/ it makes your skin refreshed. Coffee removes excess oil and dead skin cells from the skin.
- One-fourth cup coffee grounds
- Half a cup of olive oil
- Half a cup of ripe banana
- Half a cup of kosher salt
- Mash the ripe banana and prepare its paste.
- Take a bowl and add powdered coffee, olive oil, mashed banana, and kosher salt
- Combine well.
- Apply all over the body.
- Let it stay for fifteen minutes.
- Wash the skin with warm water.
6. Coffee And Coconut Oil Scrub
This face scrub is ideal for all types of skin. Where the coffee scrubs off dead skin cells, coconut oil preserves moisture in the skin. The oil possesses remarkable anti-inflammatory effects. It soothes inflamed skin and repairs it.
- 2 tablespoons of ground coffee
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil
- Take a bowl and add all ingredients to it.
- Make a smooth paste.
- Apply it all over the paste on the skin.
- Wash off your skin after ten minutes. Do not keep it for more time as coconut oil can clog the skin pores. So, wash your skin thoroughly with warm water once you have completed the skincare routine.
7. Coffee And Green Tea Scrub
This is a therapeutic scrub. It contains Green tea that is rich in antioxidants. It protects your skin from damage due to free radicals. Epsom salt is effective at reducing skin inflammation, easing pain, and soreness in muscles. This scrub is also useful to eliminate foot odor.
- Half a cup of powdered coffee
- Three tsp. of Epsom salt
- Two tsp. of baking soda
- One green tea bag
- Four tbsps. of jojoba oil
- First, you need to prepare green tea.
- Take a bowl and add coffee, salt, and jojoba oil to it. Now add green tea to get the right consistency.
- Mix everything well. Apply it all over the body.
- Massage for around fifteen minutes.
- After ten minutes, wash your skin with luke-warm water.
8. Coffee and Coconut Milk Scrub
Coconut milk has got an impressive nutritional profile. It also heals the skin. When added to coffee, it helps fight skin aging issues such as loose skin, wrinkles, age spots, etc. Application of the scrub brightens the skin and makes it soft and supple.
- 2 tsp of powdered coffee
- 2 tsp of coconut milk
Add all these ingredients together in a glass bowl and mix everything nicely.
- Prepare a thick paste.
- Apply it to the skin.
- You can scrub your skin a little.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Finally, wash it off with warm water.
9. Coffee And Shea Butter Scrub
Coffee is a potent astringent and shea butter is an effective moisturizer. It is packed with vitamins A, D, and E that hydrates the skin. This scrub is ideal to get relief from skin irritation. Peppermint oil refreshes and energizes the skin.
- 2 tbsp. of powdered coffee
- 2 tbsp. of shea butter
- 3 tbsp. of sea salt
- ¼ cup of coconut oil
- 7-10 drops peppermint essential oil
- Add shea butter into melted coconut oil. Mix well.
- Now add all the remaining ingredients. Blend it in the blender.
- Apply this mixture to the face. Gently scrub your skin.
- Let it stay for ten minutes.
- Now wash off the scrub with luke-warm water.
10. Coffee And Aloe Vera Scrub
Aloe vera is touted for its amazing calming and soothing properties. It moisturizes and relaxes the skin. A nice massage with the scrub helps stimulate the body cells and gives a natural and healthy glow to your skin.
- Half a cup of powdered coffee
- Three tbsps. of aloe vera gel
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Now apply the scrub uniformly to the face and/or body and do a gentle massage for ten minutes.
- After keeping for ten minutes, rinse your skin with warm water.
11. Coffee and Corn Starch Scrub
Almond oil is one of the best moisturizers for the skin. Enriched with Vitamin E and antioxidants, this oil nourishes and repairs the skin. Cornstarch has a fine texture that acts as a great exfoliant. It is used in several DIY recipes to soothe skin irritations, skin allergies, and sunburn.
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Half a cup of almond oil
- Half a cup of powdered sugar
- 1 and one-fourth cup of powdered coffee
- Combine the sugar, almond oil, and powdered coffee in a bowl.
- Now add the corn starch into this mixture. Blend everything to form a thick paste.
- Apply it evenly on the skin avoiding sensitive areas on the skin.
- Gently scrub the paste on the skin in circular motions.
- After a few minutes, rinse the formula using a super-hydrating body lotion.
How to Apply Homemade Coffee Face Scrubs?
Applying the face scrub the right way will help maximize its benefits. Here is the step by step procedure that you need to follow when applying the scrub on the skin.
- Wash the face thoroughly. It will help eliminate any oil, makeup, and dirt from the skin.
- Apply it with the help of your fingers or a clean brush uniformly over your face.
- Gently rub the entire mixture on the body avoiding regions around the eyes.
- Let it dry for half an hour.
- Now wet your fingers and move them in circular motions on the skin. Using warm water, remove the mask completely.
- Using a soft towel, pat your skin, and make it dry.
- Repeat the procedure once or two times a week to obtain optimal results.
Things To Note When Using A Body Scrub
- You should not overapply a body scrub as it can make your skin dry and irritated. People who have sensitive skin should be more particular about it. You should limit its use to a maximum of twice a week. People who have got an existing skin condition should consult the dermatologist before exfoliation.
- To get the best benefits from scrubbing, it is important to learn the right way to do it. It starts with the consistency of the mixture. It should not be too runny that it does not stay on the skin after application. On the other hand, it should also be not very crumbly. Its consistency should be somewhere between.
- Once you have got the right consistency, gently massage the scrub into the skin in circular motions. Rinse it off completely using warm water. Pat your skin dry and apply a moisturizing lotion to keep your skin moist and hydrated. It is best to use scrubs made of natural ingredients.
Note: Homemade grounded coffee beans are completely safe for all types of skin. However, as the skin of every person is different, it can react in a different way to different natural constituents.
If you notice a burning sensation or discomfort then you should remove the scrub straight away. When grinding the coffee beans at home, ensure that the granules are coarse enough to exfoliate the skin without being harsh or scratchy.
Coffee is a lot more than just a wake-up beverage. It is an immense source of antioxidants that can serve as a beauty upgrade to your existing skincare routine. It is an all-natural face and body scrub that is affordable, and superior to commercially available scrubs in the market. Try any of these DIY coffee scrub recipes to get silky soft and bright skin naturally.
If you liked this post, then do share it with your friends on social media. Also, you can write to us with any of your queries, suggestions, and comments. We will be happy to address them soon.