Did you know that your skin sheds dead skin cells naturally to make room for new cells every 30 days or so? The process of skin exfoliation involves removing dead skin cells from the surface of your skin using a chemical, granular substance, or exfoliation tool. Exfoliation is very important for your skin to look healthy, fresh and youthful.
Some secrets no one would tell you about Skin Exfoliation
- At a young age, the skin exfoliates itself naturally. This is observed after every 25 days. However, after the age of around 30, the process slows down which increases the chances of pigmentation and dull skin complex.
- There are various types of exfoliates. They vary in size and shape. Again, you can also opt from options like electronic exfoliation, chemical exfoliation, as well as manual exfoliation to hold the radiance of the skin.
- Chemical and manual exfoliants need to be used either once or twice a week, while the electronic exfoliants can be used daily as they are gentle.
- Regular exfoliation gives the skin a great appearance as it eliminates dead skin, pigmentation, wrinkles, fine lines, and skin discoloration from the skin.
- Surprisingly, waxing the face is also one type of exfoliation.
- The skin is capable of renewing the skin overnight, hence, it is advisable to exfoliate the skin in the morning to work on the dead skin effectively.
- If your skin texture is oily, or you suffer from acne frequently, washing the face will be much helpful to work on the spots and oil. Over exfoliating, the skin in such circumstances can add to the production of oil on the face leading to breakouts.
- Before going for exfoliation, it is essential to remove all the makeup on the face and clean the skin properly. If this is not carried out, deep cleaning through exfoliation would be impossible.
Skin Exfoliation – An Effective Way to Renew the Skin
People work on moisturizing, cleaning, and even slathering the skin with sunscreens for keeping it healthy, moisturized, and radiant. But is doing all these enough for the health of the skin? Definitely not. The skin needs to be exfoliated on a regular basis to keep it naturally active and glowing.
But what is skin exfoliation? Confused with the term? Here is what you need to know about skin exfoliation.
Skin exfoliation is basically a process of eliminating the dead skin cells from the skin with the help of some granular substance, exfoliation tools, or even chemical substances. This might surprise you, but your skin naturally exfoliates itself, removes the dead skin cells and makes required space for the new skin cells every 25 to 30 days. This process gradually starts slowing down after the age of 30. However, at times it happens that the dead skin cells are not completely eliminated naturally. This results in flaky patches, clogged pores, and dryness. And during such circumstances, exfoliating the skin is the best way to deal with the incompleteness of the natural process and give the skin proper care.
The process of exfoliation is carried out by removing dead skin cells with the help of some abrasive scrubs or any chemical substance which contains acids that help in the process without scrubbing the skin.
But why is skin exfoliation important for the skin? Have you ever thought of it? Let’s learn the benefits of exfoliation to know its importance.
Benefits of Skin Exfoliation
Skin exfoliation is a process which helps in improving the appearance of the skin in various different ways. It improves the skin tone and makes it look brighter. Regular exfoliation also prevents the skin from clogged pores which reduces the breakouts. It helps the skin with required protein levels that help with benefits like improving the skin elasticity, reducing wrinkles and fine lines, and sagging.
Here are some popular benefits of exfoliating the skin.
- Exfoliation helps in protection from any kind of skin infection or any other skin issues.
- It helps in eliminating all the tenacious dead skin cells along with flakes from the surface of the skin.
- Through exfoliation, the skin develops new and healthy skin beneath the flakes and dead skin cells.
- Exfoliation helps the skin with a natural and rosy glow.
- It improves the radiance of the skin naturally as well as promotes overall skin health.
- It deep cleans the skin to remove all the clogged pores, blackheads, and other toxins from the skin effectively.
- Regular exfoliation prevents the breakouts on the skin which also reduces the chances of suffering from acne.
- When the skin is exfoliated, it boosts the penetration of the skincare products with additional deepness.
- It reduces hyperpigmentation, roughness, dark spots, and even acne scars which provides you with an even skin tone.
- Exfoliation boosts proper and effective blood circulation along with lymphatic drainage. This cleans the skin internally and stimulates blood with rich oxygen levels to nourish the skin deeply.
So, isn’t it wonderful to exfoliate the skin regularly! Definitely yes, but which is the best way to go with? Should I select a chemical-based process that might damage the skin on longer terms or are natural ways essential?
Natural Ways for Exfoliating the Skin
No doubt, mechanical and chemical exfoliation are the best ways to treat the skin and stimulate the renewal of the cells, looking for natural ways is still an ideal way of exfoliation for having a healthier and fresh-looking skin tone.
Here are some of the natural ingredients that are widely accepted for exfoliating the skin effectively.
When it comes to body exfoliation, salt is surely the best choice to eliminate all the roughness and dry patches from the dead skin. The large and coarse granules of the sea salt work as the best exfoliators for the skin. However, using sea salt is not recommended for people having sensitive skin texture. For using sea salt, all you need to do is:
- Take around 1 cup of sea salt, preferably Himalayan sea salt.
- Mix it with around 1tsp of coconut oil and 2tsp of sweet almond oil.
- Finally, add 1tsp of castile soap to the mixture and mix well.
- Use the mixture on the skin and massage it on the face.
Massaging the salt on the face in circular motions would improve the blood circulation, remove the dead skin cells from the skin, and help with clogged pores. Using salt for exfoliation works in the form of an antiseptic which helps in eliminating all the bacteria on the skin and reduces inflammation. It also helps in easing itching and pain due to any kind of bacterial infection or skin disorders.
Yogurt is not only an ingredient to make your recipes taste additionally tasty, it is also among the various natural ingredients which are excellent exfoliators. The ingredient is rich in alpha hydroxyl acid which works magically for having healthy skin. For using yogurt for skin exfoliation:
- Simply take some thick yogurt in a bowl.
- Apply yogurt on the face and spread it evenly on every corner.
- Allow the yogurt to settle on the face and work on the skin for some minutes.
- Wash the face properly and pat dry using a clean towel.
You can repeat this process of yogurt exfoliation several times every week. The ingredient is also rich in lactic acid which works effectively in removing the dead skin cells, makes the skin supple, and reduces the breakouts of acne too. You can also use a yogurt mask by adding Aloe Vera and milk to it for further skin benefits.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Similar to baking soda, apple cider vinegar is yet another ingredient that works in an amazing way to exfoliate the skin naturally. Apple cider vinegar is rich in acids like malic acid and lactic acid. Both the nutrients or acids are much helpful in exfoliating the skin, plummeting blemishes, and treat acne too. Here is how you can use apple cider vinegar for skin exfoliation.
- Take some apple cider vinegar and add it to the warm water in your bathtub.
- Rest in the water with apple cider vinegar for around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Allow the protective layer of acids to get soaked in the skin and work magically.
- Have a normal bath afterward.
Using apple cider vinegar regularly is also advisable until your skin obtains required pH levels and maintains it well. Continuing this routine regularly would help you with a smooth and soft skin texture. It also helps in the development of new and healthy skin cells.
4. White Sugar or Brown Sugar
Surprisingly, sugar in any form works as a natural moisture preserver for the skin. Again, it provides the skin with alpha hydroxy acid and glycolic acid which are much effective in the treatment of aging skin and exfoliation. Here is how you can use sugar for the exfoliation treatment.
- Take around 2tbsp of white or brown sugar and juice from around 4 limes.
- Mix both the ingredients well.
- Massage the mixture on the skin in circular motions gently using the fingertips.
- While massaging, use the sugar granules well by rubbing them on the skin for a proper massage.
- Wash the skin with regular water.
To your wonder, sugar mask is also safe to use for sensitive skin. Using this mixture daily would help in getting rid of the tan on the skin and dark spots too. Again, you can also use the mixture for the entire body, especially the legs after once they are waxed. The pack is also quite useful to have those perfectly toned lips.
If you are having a sensitive skin tone and looking for some gentle yet operative exfoliation ingredient, oats are the best natural or organic thing to go with. They are popular for the soothing effect they live on the face. The ingredient is also perfect for treating sunburns and reduces inflammation too. Here is how to use the oats for skin exfoliation.
- Take around 2tbsp of properly grounded oats, 2tbsp of granule sugar, 2tbsp of brown sugar, 1tsp of nutmeg, and ½ cup of almond oil or vegetable oil.
- Mix all the ingredients properly to form a granule paste.
- Wet the face slightly and apply the mixture to it.
- Gently rub the skin in circular motions and rinse it.
While using the mixture for exfoliation, make sure you don’t scratch the face or irritate other delicate areas of the skin, particularly surrounding the eyes. You can also use yogurt along with oats for additional benefits of exfoliating the skin.
6. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is not only one of the best organic exfoliators but also the best ingredient with antiseptic and antibacterial properties. The oil is quite helpful if your skin is having particular skin problems or blemishes. The oil is very helpful in killing the dangerous microbes or bacteria on the skin that lead to issues like blackheads, pimples, razor bumps, and acne. Here is how you can use tea tree oil for skin exfoliation.
- Take a bowl and add 3 to 4 drops of virgin tea tree oil, 3tbsp of cold-pressed coconut oil, 3tbsp of baking soda, and 3 drops of other essential oil to it.
- Mix all the ingredients in the bowl using a spatula or spoon properly.
- Wash the skin properly to remove any oil or makeup on the skin. Using the fingertip, apply the mixture on the face or skin and gently massage the face in circular motions.
- Leave the mixture on the face for around 5 minutes. Allow the oils to get absorbed by the skin. Wash out the skin properly with regular water.
The pack is quite useful for removing the dead skin cells from the skin. This therapy also treats the oily skin very gently yet effectually. The oil not only eliminates the acne from the skin but also diminishes the scars of acne from the skin along with any bacterial infections. The scrub pack also helps in treating the discoloration of the skin and skin pores.
Apart from all these, other organic or natural ingredients to use for skin exfoliation includes shea butter, baking soda, almonds, honey, papaya, coffee, rice, flaxseeds, and many more. There are ready to use exfoliating bars available in the market which are composed of coffee, oats, cornmeal, or seeds. They also come with desired results for the skin. No matter whatever ingredient you go with, make sure you include it in the routine for grabbing maximum benefits for your skin.
So, which ingredient are you thinking to use for gifting your skin with some natural exfoliation? If you have any other effective and natural pack for skin exfoliation, do share with us your experiences and mask recipes.