Some myths about Hair Rebonding busted
1. The hair loses its moisture and shine after rebonding.
No doubt, the hair would look shinier after rebonding, but the chances of the hair getting additionally dry would increase due to overheating of the hair along with the scalp. As the natural oil of the hair gets ragged off, it starts looking dry. It can also reduce growth.
1. There is no possible side effect when going for hair rebonding.
One of the side effects of hair rebonding is that you might catch an allergy. The ingredients used in the process of rebonding include particular chemicals that can be too allergic and irritate the skin of the individual resulting in allergies like redness, itchy scalp, eye infection, and bumps.
3. Frizz remains under control permanently.
This is not completely true. After hair rebonding, the frizz would be controlled, but for a limited time period. Again, if the rebonding is not carried out by a professional, it would give a worse look with frizz. So, look for a professional who would provide you with tips to handle the frizz.
4. Hair rebonding also controls hair fall.
False. Hair loss is another side effect most of the women suffer from after hair rebonding. The process is carried out with lotions and chemicals that are quite toxic and weaken the hair roots. Hence, immense hair fall is observed after hair rebonding. Again, the results differ from one to another person.
5. Burns is something you might have after the process of hair rebonding.
Having burns on the scalp is much commonly observed after rebonding. It happens due to the overheating of the iron used for straightening. But to avoid additional burns, make sure you go with a professional or expert for rebonding.
Hair Rebonding – An Introduction
Tired of the same hairstyle? Looking for a new look that lasts for a long time?
This happens to nearly everyone. Giving the hair some different style to look different is experimented by many. From long to short hair, haircuts, straightening, curls and what not is experimented for a new appearance. And trending among all these days is Hair Rebonding.
Many women look to get rid of the springy curls and get that straight hair that would reach their waistlines. But trying some homely solutions for getting it is surely a waste of time as they don’t give desired results and don’t also last long. Again, when it comes to hair rebonding, many people have many misconceptions in their mind and hence, many avoid going for it. But don’t worry, today we shall learn all the essential details required for obtaining that picture-perfect image for a fashion magazine.
What is Hair Rebonding?
Before moving to other aspects regarding hair rebonding, lets first understand what rebonding actually is. Hair rebonding is a process of straightening the hair with the help of some chemical-based hair products. The treatment is much similar to hair straightening and leaves your hair shiny, sleek and straight after the process. The only difference between hair straightening and rebonding is that straightening is for a particular time period, while rebonding is permanent as well as much expensive too. The price of hair rebonding varies from parlor to parlor based on the products used in the treatment, hair type, service, hair length, as well as care post-treatment.
Every type of hair comes with some natural bond that is either wavy or curly with its own physical features or qualities. The rebonding treatment uses various creams and gels that work as softeners to break the structure of your hair. When the structure is damaged, the neutralizer again bonds or re-structures the hair again and makes it straight. However, after once going through the rebonding or restructuring process, you need to give it a touchup for the newly grown hair which can be either every 3 to 12 months for maintaining them according to the growth of your hair.
How is the process of hair rebonding carried out?
The treatment of hair rebonding is carried out basically with two different chemical products which include the neutralizer and the cream relaxant. However, before starting with the rebonding, the hair is prepared well by giving it a proper cut for getting the right length, washing it using a mild shampoo, and lastly blow-drying it for a medium setting.
After all these, here are the steps that would be carried out for the rebonding treatment.
- Depending on the volume of your hair, it is properly divided into various sections by combing them properly.
- After sectioning, the cream softener or relaxant is then applied to every section separately. When applying the softener, the hair is held straight as it gets properly set. This is the time when the hair would lose its natural bond.
- For proper application, thin plastic boards are used which helps in applying the cream on every single hair strand. For the women having normal to wavy hair the softener is left for around 30 minutes, while for the women having natural hair dry, extremely curvy, and frizzy, it is left for a little longer. Make sure it is not left for a too long time as it led to hair damage.
- When the time is over, the next step is to steam the hair for around 30 to 40 minutes which basically depends on the hair texture and condition. Later, the hair is rinsed and blow-dried.
- After all these, the hair is given a keratin treatment for soothing any curls that have been missed. Once the hair becomes straight as desired, they are again parted for the next step.
- Now it is the time to use the neutralizer which is used for the restructuring of the hair bond. The neutralizer is also applied for stabilizing the hair bond for forming fresh ones which would give the hair a straight and sleek look.
- The neutralizer applied is again left for around 30 minutes after which the hair is again rinsed and once more, blow-dried.
- For restoring the nourishment of your hair, a serum is properly applied to the hair all over carefully.
- Finally, a straightening iron is used for giving it a finishing touch.
After getting the rebonding treatment, the people are generally asked to avoid washing their hair for a minimum of 3 days for obtaining desired results.
What are the benefits of hair rebonding?
No doubt, for everyone, having straight hair is the only benefit of going for hair rebonding, there are several others in the list too. Here are some of the unknown benefits of hair rebonding.
- The biggest benefit of the rebonding process is that it gives you permanent straight hair. However, it doesn’t come with any impact on the hair that would grow in the future.
- The hair wouldn’t have any frizz, not would it be curly anymore. You will not also have to use your hair straighter every now and then to give it a straight look. Hence, it becomes easy to maintain.
- The entire process of hair rebonding is quite relaxing. So, if you enjoy spending leisure time at the parlor getting your nails done, this is surely going to please you.
- For many people, going through the process of hair rebonding has improved the quality and texture of their hair.
No doubt, the benefits of hair rebonding would differ from one person to the other, these are still some benefits you can reap after the treatment.
What are the side effects of hair rebonding?
Just as every treatment comes with one or the other side effect, similarly, Hair rebonding is also a process that has some loop falls. Here is the list of the negative side of hair rebonding.
- The process of rebonding makes your hair quite fragile. Hence, you need to take extra efforts for maintaining and caring about them.
- After the treatment, you cannot tie the hair or tuck it behind the ears for around 1 month as this might damage the structure of your hair.
- The chemical products used for the rebonding process produce some heat which can be harmful to your hair as well as scalp. It can also burn the hair and scalp. Again, if the temperature of the metal plates is much higher, it can result in long-lasting hair or scalp damage.
- Leaving the creams for more than 30 minutes on your hair can also result in severe damage to both the scalp and the hair.
- You need to visit the parlor for a touch up regularly as this helps in maintaining the quality and texture of the hair after the treatment.
- The chemicals used in the treatment are quite toxic, as a result, you might suffer from hair loss as well as weak hair. The situation worsens with regular touch-ups.
- As the treatment changes your hair permanently, you cannot get your natural hair back after the process.
Things to Consider Before and After the hair rebonding process
Have you recently gone under the hair rebonding treatment? Or are you planning for having it done? Here are some things you need to consider prior to or after the process.
- After the process, avoid combing your hair quite often, washing them, or avoid applying any hair oil, serum or even cream for the initial 3 days.
- Whenever you wash the hair, use cold water.
- You can have a bath after the process, but use a shower cap to protect your hair from getting wet.
- While you wash the hair, make sure you use any moisture hair mask or conditioner for restoring the moisture and texture of the hair.
- After rebonding, most of the salons suggest using the moisture hair mask as it is far better than conditioners for protection.
- Avoid using hair clips or even sunglasses for the first month after rebonding.
- Avoid using hair colors prior to or after the process of hair rebonding, particularly the ones which contain peroxide or ammonia.
- Don’t go for any chemical-based treatments for your hair for at least 3 months to 6 months. You can give it a try only if your hair is naturally moisturized.
- Once you have finished up with hair rebonding, you might be suggested to go for highlighting the hair. Say a big NO to such treatments or any other treatment for a minimum of 6 months. If possible, even a touch-up.
- Avoid using any electric heating instruments for your hair like straighteners, hairdryers, etc.
- If you need to use a hairdryer, make sure you use it at the cold air function for drying as this would only blow much air for drying the hair.
- In case you are using a dryer, make sure you also use a protein spray, as it would protect your hair from the heat, sun, and even dirt by coating them and nourishing them too.
- After every 3 months, go for hair trimming to avoid split ends, which can be damaging for the hair.
- Trimming the hair would also make it healthy and give you a better lengthy look.
Lastly, the food you have is also essential for the hair. So, look for a balanced diet that includes sprouts, nuts, red meat, etc. This would provide your hair with proteins that would help in the nourishment of the hair.
Hair rebonding is surely a beautiful process that would give you a mind-blowing look. However, on the other hand, it is quite risky too and needs proper care. Also, after the process, you are also limited to using a particular type of shampoos, conditioners, hair masks, serums, leave-in conditioners, oils and even combs which helps in maintaining the texture and type of hair.
Going for a hair rebonding process is a crucial decision for anyone. It would damage your natural hair and look permanently, while it would also need some extra care and maintenance which is time-consuming as well as expensive too. Hence, the decision should be taken keeping in mind every possible dos and don’ts before and after the treatment. If still confused, make sure you meet the experts in the field, discuss with them, and then look for the right treatment for your hair.
So, what’s your call on the hair rebonding process? Have you gone through it? Share with us your experiences to help others take a fair decision by mentioning your words in the comment section.