Combs are the oldest and the commonest types of grooming devices. They come in various styles, shapes and sizes to choose from. The type of brush that you choose to comb your hair can positively or adversely impact the health of hair. The wrong selection of hair comb can lead to thinning of hair, hair fall, hair breakage, an irritated scalp and more.
Out of the different types of combs such as fine-tooth comb, wide-tooth comb, rake comb and all-purpose comb, wide-tooth comb is considered as the best type of comb to keep your hair and scalp in the best health. In this article, we will tell you what type of benefits a wide-tooth comb can provide you.
What is a Wide Tooth Comb?
A ‘wide-tooth comb‘ is characterized by the presence of the large space between the different bristles of a comb. Many of such combs have teeth that are comparatively bigger in size compared to other types of combs.
A wide-tooth comb is beneficial when you have extremely dry hair. The bristles of the comb distribute natural oils of the hair, stimulate the scalp, remove debris and lastly does not create any static electric field on the hair strands. Wide-tooth comb with nylon bristles help detangle your hair and smoothen your strands.
This type of comb is ideal to get out of the tangles. It results in less split ends and hair breakage. A wide-tooth comb is ideal for thick hair, as it easily passes through all the hair and prevents any knots and frizzes.
Reasons To Start Using Wide Tooth Comb For Hair
Combing your hair with a wide-tooth comb benefits your hair in so many ways. These combs are beneficial for both men and women with long or short hair. Here we have come with a list of amazing benefits of wide tooth comb that would compel you to incorporate it in your hair care routine.
1. A Lot Easier To Detangle Your Hair
A wide-tooth comb is an indispensable device to detangle your hair. A normal comb will also do the job but it will result in the shedding of your hair. The sight of your hair on the comb may make you cry tears of sadness and frustration.
To prevent hair loss and ensure painless detangling of hair, the use of a wide-tooth comb is always recommended. It runs easily through the hair and detangles any knots present in them. The result is smooth and detangled hair effortlessly.
2. Less Hair Fall
If you are among those who see a bunch of hair in the comb every time you detangle them, then a wide-tooth comb has the solution to this problem. The reason for hair fall during detangling your hair is due to more effort and friction that isolates knots when using a normal hair comb. So, another important benefit of a wide-tooth comb is that it effectively de-tangles hair without causing hair fall.
You may also like to learn about Keratin Treatment for Hair in this article.
3. Prevents Breakage of Hair
The next benefit of a wide-tooth comb is that it prevents the breakage of hair. Wet hair is susceptible to tangling. Trying to break the knots in this situation can be a nightmare. The sight of losing precious hair in the bathroom sink can be a terrible feeling. You need a brush that is gentle on your hair that glides through your hair instead of breaking them halfway.
A wide-tooth comb serves this objective. Due to the presence of wide spaces present between its bristles, it becomes easier to untangle them without any breakage. This happens due to less friction and gentle action of this type of comb on the hair strand compared to a fine-tooth or medium tooth comb.
4. Reduces Damaged and Split Ends
The next important advantage of using a wide-tooth comb is a reduction in damaged and split ends. This type of comb is best suited for those who have wavy or curly hair. This is because these types of hair are prone to getting detangled quickly and require a lot of time and effort to comb them.
When you comb such hair using a wide-tooth comb then it helps in the prevention or reduction of frayed ends. If you have the problem of split-ends, then a wide-tooth comb could be the best way to use especially at the time of untangling. This comb is gentler on the hair and leads to less friction that contributes to less breaking of hair.
5. Gentle On The Scalp
People who use wide-tooth combs appreciate it because of its gentleness on the scalp and hair. It is one of the biggest reasons that make wide tooth comb the healthiest decision for the hair. Such combs are extremely beneficial for people who have painful wounds, or pimples on the surface of their scalp. Its wide bristles are so soothing on the skin.
The calming touch of these combs gives you a massaging effect that makes detangling convenient and effortless. When compared to the painful sensation of scratching that you feel with a normal or fine-tooth comb, a wide-tooth comb is milder on the scalp and knots in the hair.
6. Prevents inflammation
Do you have a tendency to develop pimple and wounds on the scalp? If yes, then it is mostly due to inflammation, and deposition of sweat, and dirt on the scalp. A wide-toothed comb is a natural and safe way to treat inflammation on the skin.
It works by gently massaging, and enhancing the circulation of blood on the scalp. Combing with this type of brush also helps relax an exhausted and worn-out scalp. So, for people who see the signs of scalp inflammation should start using a wide-tooth comb to get substantial relief.
Along with choosing this type of brush, you should also maintain proper hygiene of the scalp. Consume an anti-inflammatory diet and use an oil control shampoo to get the best relief from scalp inflammation.
Here are homemade recipes for greasy hair care that you will love to learn about.
7. Eases detangling
When you use a wide-tooth comb on the hair, you will see a huge difference in the way your hair gets detangled. A gentle comb with this brush through the hair will release the knots easily without tearing hair out of the head. Be it wet or dry hair, this comb makes it easier to get knots out of the hair.
8. It Prevents Frizz
The main cause behind crimpy and frizzy hair is dehydration. There can be a few more causes of this problem i.e., lack of nutrition in the diet, and regular use of chemical-enriched lotions, and hair appliances such as hair dryers, and hair straighteners.
Also, exposure to chemical exposure like dyes, and bleaches can make your hair a lot frizzier. Though we have several beneficial hair treatments that can help deal with this issue, the use of a wide-tooth comb is also beneficial to reduce the trouble.
When you use a wide-tooth comb on your hair, it opens up the outermost layer of the hair strand i.e., the cuticle. It raises it and makes it more disposed to absorbing moisture. So, apply a good moisturizer on your wet hair, and comb it using the wide-tooth comb. It will help lock more moisture onto the hair.
Also, combing your hair with this comb enhances blood circulation on the scalp so that the scalp and hair follicles get adequately nourished. In both of these ways, your hair will become less frizzy and curly. When you use the wide-tooth comb on a regular basis, you will notice a visible improvement in the texture and manageability of your hair.
Useful Tips To Comb Your Hair
Now that you have known that the wide-tooth comb is the right device to comb your hair, you need to learn the right way to use it to detangle your hair. Below are some of the proven and tried and tested combing tips.
- Do not detangle your hair when it is wet. This is because such hair is prone to more breakage. It can result in damage to the hair follicles and roots that can, in turn, lead to hair fall. So, make sure your hair is completely dry at the time of detangling your hair.
- Never use regular plastic combs when you have wounds, pimples and inflammation on the scalp. This is because, these combs feel harsh on your scalp and can aggravate the problem and can even cause scalp infection.
- Do not directly use the comb to work on the large knots on the long hair. Run your fingers downwards through them before you use the comb to clear the knots. Don’t force your fingers to run through a knot that is not getting released on its own. Apply some detangling lotion to the knot. Now take the comb, and use small and straight strokes to work at the knot.
- Always use a comb and not a brush when the hair is wet. Once they are dried, you can use any of them.
- Be very gentle when combing your hair. If you pull them very hard or fast during the detangling process, then it might cause your hair to shed.
- If you are brushing dry hair, then apply a leave-in-conditioner, or a smoothing serum. Brush from the ends of the strands and work your way up. Always begin from the roots of the hair and reach the end part.
- Comb at least once a week. It stimulates your hair roots. and improves blood circulation on the scalp.
- Ensure the best hygiene of the comb. Clean the dirt and hair out of it from time to time.
- Always use the best quality of comb as a bad quality comb can damage your hair. Also, combs and brushes that have gotten old can damage your hair. So, if you notice that bristles are falling out from the comb, then you should proactively replace them with the new ones.
Procedure To Use Wide Tooth Comb To Detangle Your Hair
Brushing your dry hair and fighting with endless knots can look like an unending uphill battle. It doesn’t have to be that hard, right? So what you can do to make the detangling process easier? We have compiled a series of simple and easy steps that you should follow when detangling your hair.
- Portion your hair into two parts in the middle.
- Take one section of hair, and start running your fingers slowly through it. Keep doing it till you don’t feel any knots.
- Now repeat the above step for the other part of the hair as well.
- Now with the help of a wide-tooth comb start combing your hair. You will notice that your hair has started to become silky, frizz-free and soft.
- Once you have removed all the knots from the hair, you can use a normal comb to give any style to your hair that you like.
Note: To make detangling easier, you can also apply some amount of hair cream on the hair before you detangle them. There are several DIY hair cream recipes that you can easily prepare at home to make untangling easier to a significant extent.
Frequently Asked Questions About Using Wide Tooth Comb
Here are some of the commonly asked questions on Wide-Tooth Comb benefits.
1. Is It Possible To Use A Wide Tooth Comb On Wet Hair?
Looking at the above benefits of a wide-tooth comb, it is increasingly becoming popular among several hair stylists and professionals. They suggest the use of this type of comb as the best way to untangle hair. It is not recommended to comb damp hair as they are fragile.
Such hair can be prone to breakage and split ends even when you use it on the wet hair regularly. Before you comb them, ensure that they are a little dry to prevent the possibilities of damage. Sit under a fan or use a hairdryer to dry them before you start untangling them.
Meanwhile you may like to learn about using coconut oil for hair.
2. When To Use Brush And When To Use Comb On Hair?
A brush is best suited for combing dry hair, and a wide-tooth comb is an ideal choice for wet hair.
3. What Is The Right Way To Use A Wide Tooth Comb On Dry Hair?
If you have dry hair, then it is recommended to wash them with a mild shampoo and follow it up by applying a generous amount of deep hair conditioner. Begin from the root level and work up to the tip of the hair strands to ensure uniform conditioning of each hair strand.
To ensure proper penetration of hair moisturizer within it, you should let it stay on the hair for around two to three minutes. Rinse off the conditioner with plain water. Now pat dry them with a clean cotton cloth. Wait till your hair dries properly. Without applying force, begin detangling your hair slowly. A wide-tooth comb makes it easier to glide through the hair and release the knots in them.
A hair comb is an important tool in your grooming collection that keeps your scalp and hair in the best health. Choose it wisely and ensure its proper hygiene. In conjunction with the right selection of comb, follow the above tips to prevent hair woes and protect your hair.
If you liked this post, then do share it with your friends on social media. Also, you can write to us with any of your suggestions, comments, and queries. We will be happy to address them soon.