A majority of market-bought shampoos contain chemicals that disrupt the endocrine system in the body. It increases toxic load and causes a lot of harm to the hair. Natural Organic Shampoo contains no chemical ingredients. Such homemade shampoos are the best substitute for these chemical-laden shampoos.
Organic homemade shampoos are made from 100% natural and safe hair-boosting ingredients that give you healthy and lustrous hair. In this article, we are sharing with you a few easy, safe and effective natural homemade shampoo recipes.
Why Should You Select Homemade Natural Organic Shampoo?
Hair follicles produce natural oil, called sebum that is important to keep them healthy and moist. Regularly washing your hair with chemical-enriched shampoo strips off natural oils from the hair and scalp and makes them dry, dull and lifeless. To restore the normal balance of oils, the follicles overproduces sebum and makes the hair greasy. This starts the entire cycle of washing, stripping of oils and oily hair again.
Homemade shampoo’s are safe for all types of hair. It does not strip off natural oils from the hair. It nourishes and maintains the moistness and natural luster of your hair.
The best part of these shampoo’s is that they are free from harmful artificial ingredients in the form of fragrance, additives and color. They do not contain sulfate, parabens and other harmful chemical ingredients.
Another important advantage of homemade shampoo is that they are affordable compared to market bought shampoos. They are easy to make at home and take less time to prepare. You only need two to three ingredients to prepare them.
They not just clean the hair but also hydrate, nourish and strengthen the hair and the scalp. They are mild and help maintain pH balance of the scalp thereby boosting hair growth. Unlike chemical-rich shampoo, homemade natural shampoo’s doesn’t make your hair hard. They make the hair soft and detangle them naturally.
What are the Characteristics of a Good Shampoo?
The shampoo you choose should be made of pure, safe and mild ingredients. It should perform three main functions.
1. Cleans the hair
It should eliminate soil, sebum, dirt, styling products and excess oil from the scalp and hair.
2. Seals the cuticle
The shampoo should close the outermost hair layer efficiently. It should ensure that the cuticle cells are laid flat. In this way, it safeguards the layers beneath from any sort of damage.
3. Balances pH of hair and scalp
The good shampoo has a slightly acidic pH that helps in closing the cuticle and reduces the static electricity that leads to damage and tangles to the hair.
It is best to substitute your chemical-laden shampoo with a natural one.
Basic Ingredients Used To Prepare A Homemade Natural Shampoo
Homemade natural shampoos are made from natural hair-boosting ingredients that you can easily find in your kitchen. Some of the potent ingredients used for shampoo are:
1. Raw Honey
Raw Organic honey has an abundance of fructose, glucose, monosaccharides and minerals like iron, phosphate, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and sodium chloride. It exhibits antibacterial, and antiseptic properties that keep your hair and scalp free from any bacterial infection.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has lauric acid that makes it an effective cleanser and moisturizer. It easily enters through the hair shaft and strengthens it from inside. Coconut oil is a good source of medium-chain fatty acids fats that shows effective antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
3. Coconut Milk
This is another vital ingredient for hair growth. It is loaded with two powerful vitamins like folate and niacin that enhances blood circulation in the scalp. Coconut milk has a potent antioxidant and hair-boosting compounding as vitamin E that fight deeply conditions the hair.
4. Olive Oil
This oil is packed with the goodness of vitamins E, A, and antioxidants. It protects the keratin (a form of protein) in the hair and locks in moisture. Olive oil also eliminates the deposition of sebum that restricts the growth of new hair follicles.
5. Avocado Oil
Avocado oil has an abundance of monounsaturated fats that lubricates the hair. Rich in Vitamin E and Vitamin B, it makes the hair nourished, glossy, and stronger. Where vitamin B assists in hair growth, Vitamin E helps repair hair damage.
It has a slightly acidic pH that makes it a good cleanser. It cleans the scalp without making the scalp dry. Your hair becomes bouncy and soft. Rich in vitamin C and several phytonutrients, it nourishes the follicles and results in hair growth.
Reetha has natural surfactants as saponins that work as a remarkable natural cleanser. It helps remove grease and dirt from the hair and skin. It contains natural saponins that clean hair, but also makes them thick, smooth, and glossy.
The Indian gooseberry has the maximum amount of vitamin C that protects your hair from free radicals-induced damage. It nourishes and strengthens your hair.
9. Fenugreek seeds
Fenugreek is another very effective ingredient for your hair. These seeds soften and moisturize your hair. They also soothe the scalp and gives relief from scalp conditions that include eczema, and dandruff.
The seeds are a good source of Omega 3 fats that make it a potent natural hair conditioner. The addition of flaxseeds in your shampoos and hair masks also helps detangles your hair.
11. Marshmallow root
This herb helps in conditioning your hair. Your hair will feel so soft and smooth after its use.
12. Horsetail herb
This herb gives strength and shines to your hair.
13. Chamomile flower
It smoothens and conditions your hair. It also adds highlights to your blond hair.
14. Shea Butter
It is loaded with Vitamins A, vitamin E, and vitamin F. It protects from the UV rays of the sun. Shea butter has oleic, palmitic, linolenic acids, and stearic, which nourishes the skin and boosts collagen production. The presence of essential fatty acids makes it a great moisturizer.
15. Almond Oil
It is a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E, magnesium, and phospholipids. Incorporating the oil in your hair care routine nourish and strengthen your hair. It helps treat damaged hair and hair loss.
16. Jojoba oil
The oil helps balance oil production on the scalp. It has good amounts of vitamins E, vitamin B, and essential minerals such as silicon, zinc, and copper. It nourishes the scalp and hair and keeps them healthy and glossy.
17. Egg yolk
Eggs are an abundant source of fatty protein lecithin, vitamin A and vitamin E, and fatty acids. This remarkable nutritional composition nourishes hair, add shine and bounce to your hair, maintain the right oil balance, protect from UV rays, improves hair texture, reduce frizz, prevents brittleness, and regenerate hair follicles and roots.
18. Castor Oil
The oil possesses remarkable antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties that diminish the impact of auto-immune diseases like Alopecia. High amounts of antioxidants in the oil make hair strong and smooth. Ricinoleic acid helps balance scalp pH, and support keratin production.
19. Apple Cider Vinegar
It is touted for its anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that help get rid of acidity on the scalp and dandruff. This vinegar maintains the right pH balance on the scalp and detangles your hair.
20. Essential Oils
Essential oil not just smells great but also helps in numerous ways. They stimulate hair growth, stop hair fall, calms the scalp, prevents dandruff, enhance sebum production, and more.
Lavender oil, Tea Tree Oil, Peppermint oil, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Rosemary oil, Chamomile oil, Juniper, and Ylang Ylang oil are some of the best oils to use in your natural homemade shampoo.
Yogurt has a good composition of lactic acid, probiotic bacteria, and proteins that clean, nourish, and moisturizes the scalp.
22. Baking Soda
It eliminates all accumulated impurities/excess sebum/ dandruff from the scalp. It gives you a cleaner and healthier scalp and makes your hair light and fluffy naturally.
23. Rice Water
It has inositol that repairs damaged hair. It detangles hair, boosts strength, enhances shine, and promotes new hair growth.
DIY Natural Organic Homemade Shampoo Recipes
1. Shikakai, Reetha, and Amla Shampoo
- 5-6 pods of shikakai
- 2 reetha berries
- 5-6 amla pieces
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon flaxseeds
- Take a pan.
- Add all the ingredients to it.
- Add 750 ml of water.
- Keep it aside for 8 hours.
- Let the ingredients soak. It will enhance their properties.
- Now heat the mixture till it begins to boil. Lower the flame a little. Allow it to boil for 10 minutes. It will make the solution thicker and more concentrated.
- Once boiled, remove from the flame. Let it cool. Using your hand, crush the herbs and form a paste.
- Strain it to another pot
- Wet your hair. Apply the mixture to the scalp. Massage it. Gradually move from the scalp to the ends of your hair.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with plain water.
This shampoo is ideal for all types of hair. It thoroughly cleans the scalp while retaining the moisture on it. You can use this shampoo once a week.
2. Coconut Milk and Honey Natural Organic Shampoo
- 1 can/13.5 oz full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp ACV
- 1 tsp jojoba oil
- 1 tsp castor oil
- 1 tsp of any essential oils of choice
- Take a bowl and add all ingredients to it.
- Take a small amount of this mixture and massage the scalp.
- With the help of your fingers, spread it through the hair.
- Let it stay for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with plain water.
People who have oily hair should rinse their hair with a diluted solution of ACV. It is made by adding equal proportions of apple cider vinegar (one-fourth cup) and water (one-fourth cup). Do it twice a week.
3. Rice Water
Rinse the rice with clean water. Do not throw the water. Use it as a natural shampoo. Apply this water to your hair such that it covers your scalp and hair uniformly. This water is the most affordable remedies that you can try at home. Repeat the process twice a week.
4. Honey and Egg Yolk Shampoo
- Egg yolk of 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons raw organic honey
- Take a pan and add both these ingredients. Make a paste
- Apply the paste evenly on your damp hair.
- Massage the hair to accelerate the rate of absorption of the nutrients.
- Follow it up with a mild leave-on hair conditioner (almond oil or coconut oil) to retain the moisture.
- Perform the above steps two times a week.
5. Aloe Vera Gel and Coconut Oil Moisturizing Natural Organic Shampoo
This is a pH balancing and moisturizing shampoo that helps you get rid of bacterial and fungal infections.
- 1 ½ cup of coconut oil
- 1 ¾ cup of aloe vera gel
- 15 drops of any essential oil
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Apply the mixture to your damp hair. You can do a little massage to remove deposits of dirt on the scalp. It also enhances blood circulation and the thickness of hair.
- Wash off your hair with water.
Repeat the process twice a week.
If you feel greasiness, then follow it up with an ACV rinse.
6. Raw Egg Shampoo
A medium-sized raw egg
- Take a bowl. Whip the yolk and white part of the egg together.
- Wet your hair. Apply the whipped mixture to the scalp and the hair.
- Let it stay on the hair for 5 minutes. It will help the nutrients to penetrate inside the skin properly.
- Wash off the hair with water.
Perform the above steps twice a week.
To get rid of the smell of the egg or any excess greasiness, you can do an Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) rinse. Those who have blond hair should rinse their hair with chamomile tea.
7. Shea Butter And Olive Oil Shampoo
- 1/2 cup of melted Shea Butter
- 1/3th cup of Olive oil
- 1 tsp of Castor oil
- 1 tsp of tea tree oil
- A little amount of warm water
- 10 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- Take a bowl and add all ingredients.
- Massage this mixture onto the scalp for 2 minutes. Let it stay for 15 minutes for better absorption.
- Rinse off your hair with warm water.
You will notice that your scalp will become clean, and free from dandruff, dirt, and excess sebum. Do it twice a week.
8. Aromatic Dry Coconut Shampoo
- 4 tbsp organic cinnamon bark powder
- 1 tbsp coconut milk powder
- 1 tbsp powdered oatmeal
- 2 tbsp corn starch flour
- 8-10 drops of essential oil
- Add all the ingredients except oil to a bowl. Mix them well.
- Now add the essential oil
- With the help of a makeup brush, dust your scalp and hair with this powder.
- Massage this powder slowly for 4-5 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, rinse off your hair with water.
The presence of coconut milk powder and cinnamon works as an excellent conditioner. Your hair becomes thick, glossy, and fragrant naturally.
9. Yogurt And Coconut Milk Shampoo
- ¼ cup of full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 drops of essential oil
- Blend all the ingredients except essential oil in a blender. Make a smooth viscous paste.
- Now add the essential oil to it. Mix it properly.
- Now apply this paste to your damp hair such that it covers the entire head uniformly.
- After an hour, wash the hair with water.
10. Baking Soda Shampoo For Oily/Greasy Hair
- 3 cups of water
- ½ cup of Baking soda
- ½ cup each of water and Apple Cider Vinegar for the rinse
- Take a bowl and add baking soda and water to it.
- Scrub the scalp with this paste.
Perform an ACV rinse to reduce the smell of baking soda. Your scalp will get thoroughly cleaned, and hair will become light and feathery.
11. Egg and Baking Soda Natural Organic Shampoo
This shampoo recipe is ideal for dry and normal hair. It cleans and also moisturizes the scalp and hair.
- 1 tablespoon of Baking soda
- Egg yolks of 3 eggs
- 1 ripe avocado
- Prepare a mixture of all the ingredients.
- Just like your usual shampoo, massage it on the scalp and hair evenly.
- Rinse it off with normal water.
12. Gelatin And Egg Shampoo
Gelatin contains keratin proteins that make the hair thicker and shinier. It nourishes each hair strand and protects it from damage.
- 1 tablespoon of Gelatin powder
- Egg yolk of 2 eggs
- A little amount of water
- Take a bowl and add the gelatin with the water. Let it stay for an hour.
- Heat this mixture till the gelatin melted completely in the water.
- Once it cools, add the egg yolk into the mixture.
- Mix well.
- Apply the shampoo over your damp hair.
- After 10 minutes, rinse it off with plain water to get the best results.
Frequently Asked Questions About DIY Natural Organic Shampoo
Here are some frequently asked questions on Natural Homemade Shampoos.
1. What should be the pH of the shampoo?
The pH level of shampoo should be slightly acidic than the pH of the scalp. It helps suppress bacterial growth and destroys free radicals from the scalp. Look for the ingredients that have a pH in the range of 3.3 and 4.4.
2. How to use Natural Organic Shampoo that is home made?
Mix all the ingredients in the right amounts. Gently massage the mixture into the hair and scalp for one or two minutes. Rinse thoroughly with plain water. Based on your hair type, you can even go for an additional homemade conditioning rinse. It will help restore the pH of the hair and make your hair cuticles smooth.
3. Is it necessary to use a conditioner after you shampoo your hair with Natural Organic Shampoo?
If you have normal or oily hair, you do not need to use a conditioner after rinse. However, if your hair is dry and frizzy, then it is recommended to apply a little amount of almond oil or coconut oil to the lower third of the hair. Avoid the scalp, and leave the oil on the hair. Doing this way, you will get soft, manageable, and shiny hair naturally.
4. Should I buy a whole or powdered form of natural ingredients?
It is best to buy the whole form of natural ingredients like reetha, shikakai, amla, and other herbs to prepare the shampoo. This is because there can be chances of adulteration in the powdered form of ingredients. If you do not any other option than buying the powdered form of the ingredient, then choose a reputable supplier and read the product label to ensure its purity.
5. How can I add density to my homemade shampoo?
To prepare a thick shampoo, you can mix whole oats, arrowroot powder, or corn starch powder. Keep adding any of these ingredients to your shampoo solution till you get the right thickness.
Conventional shampoos can do long-lasting damage to your hair. Natural homemade shampoos are easy to prepare, pure, and cost-effective than the market bought ones.
Based on your hair type, you can choose from plenty of natural ingredients to make your personalized shampoo. With continued use, you will observe improvement in the texture, shine, and thickness of your hair.