Doctors advise patients to cut off me from their food. People like me a lot in various forms such as chips, fries, frankies, smilies, wedges, bites, sabjis, gravies, pakodas, and what not. The list is endless. Some of the foodies even like to eat me boiled with masalas sprinkled on them. Yet, you try to avoid me but can’t help yourself. Any guesses who I am? Right. I am your favourite food, Potato.
In this article, we will know about benefits of potato for skin.
Potato Mask Recipe for Soft Skin in Winters
Here is a quick and easy recipe for you made from Potato and Aloe vera that will help you you get a soft and smooth skin in winters.
We are often advised by healthcare experts to cut off potato from diet. Diabetics also need to reduce intake of potatoes. However, the tastiest foods in the world are made out of potato. Over-consumption of potatoes can make you unhealthy and fat. Hence, a stout person is often named as – ‘Couch Potato’.
Potatoes are not dangerous to health. It is the over-consumption that may cause issues. If you are going to deep fry in oil or use it with all spices, salt and oil, then it will definitely cause a harm to your body. You need not cut off it directly, but try to regulate the portions. Potatoes are loaded with nutrients and carbohydrates that are really essential for the body. Moreover, the skin of potato is extremely good for health. Do not try to throw away the skin of potatoes which are really healthy in nutrients.
But do you know potato is like a superhero when it comes to beauty care routine? It is loaded with powerful nutrients to heal your skin, brighten your skin, and soothe your skin. So even if you are reducing your intake of potatoes, you are free to shop for it and apply it in your skin care regime.
We will throw a light on the ingredients, benefits, applications of potatoes to help you in acquiring a healthy and flawless skin in few weeks. Next time when you see a potato, do not tempt to cook and eat it. Try to apply it on your skin in various ways.
- Vitamins, including A, b, C
So, potatoes when they are in raw form, or boiled, or added in vegetables are healthy for your body. Do not destroy its nutrients by frying, adding considerable salt, or spices. Potato chips that are available in stores contain considerable quantities of salt and preservatives that will add excessive pounds on your body. You need to cut off such items from your diet by all means.
Benefits Of Potato For Skin
1. Reduces Pigmentation
Pigmentation may be in the form of blemishes, dark spots, freckles, brown coloured spots, acne scars, or even burn scars. Potato plays an excellent role in reducing pigmentation of the skin.
2. Skin Lightening
Potato is a skin lightening and brightening agent. If applied frequently, it can reduce uneven skin tone and help in getting a fair and beautiful complexion.
3. Reduces Under Eye Concerns
Under eye concerns have become common due to the complex lifestyle, constant staring at the computer and TV screens, stress and anxiety and hereditary. Potatoes help in reducing under eye circles, redness and puffiness of eyes. It has cooling and soothing properties that will calm down the heat accumulated in the eyes.
4. A Good Exfoliator
Potato is a good exfoliator that assists in removing dead skin cells, blackheads and whiteheads. If you scrub using skin of potato, then your skin will get rid of dead skin cells and you will get a smooth, soft and supple complexion. However, repeat this process once a week to maintain the results.
5. Skin Rejuvenation
Potatoes help in rejuvenating of the skin. It helps in skin cell renewal. It means our new cells on the skin are built up and nurtured due to the power—packed potatoes.
6. Reduces Aging Signs
The signs of aging such as wrinkles and fine lines are not good for your looks. Potatoes will fade away these signs of ageing. As it helps in skin cell renewal, it helps in revitalizing the skin too. It will assist your skin cells to make it more youthful and beautiful.
7. Healing Agent
Potatoes are fortified with healing properties. It will heal your wounds, inflamed skin, irritation or redness of skin due to skin disorders. People who experience constant itching or irritation due to allergies should apply potato on the skin surface.
8. Cools Sunburns
During summers, we may feel that our skin has become sunburnt or red due to constant exposure to the harmful sun rays, Potatoes will help in treating sunburns.
How To Use Potato Rightly?
- Just extract juice of potato by grating it or grinding in the mixer? You will notice a white coloured foamy liquid. This is nothing but the potato juice that has tremendous powers of healing, lightening, brightening and reducing signs of pigmentation.
- You can simply extract potato juice and apply it on the skin. Dry the pack and wash it off after 10-15 minutes. Regular application of this simplest pack will reduce pigmentation marks and scars. It will also lighten your uneven skin tone.
- Another way is to grate peeled potatoes. Add a spoon of almond powder or oatmeal powder into the grated potato. Keep this pack on your eyes and under the eyes for some time. Feel relaxed and comfortable while doing this. It will soothe and cool down your eyes. It will also reduce puffiness and dark circles under your eyes.
- You can dip two cotton pods into potato juice and keep it on your eyes and underneath it for some time. It will reduce the dark circles within a few weeks.
- Grate potato and scrub it all over your face. This is an excellent natural scrub and is more effective than any other artificial scrub in the cosmetic stores.
- If you skin is irritated or sore or sunburnt, then apply slices of potato on the affected areas. Your skin will feel cool and refreshed after some time.
- Potato juice can also be mixed with other juices or natural ingredients.
- To reduce pigmentation marks on the face, mix potato juice along with lemon juice and apply on the face. It is a best treatment for your freckles and dark spots.
- To reduce excess oil and sebum from the skin, mix potato juice with rose water and lemon juice and apply this pack on the face. It will regulate the oil.
- In case of people with dry skin, add 1 teaspoon of honey to potato juice. Apply this pack only for 10 minutes and wash it off. It will hydrate your skin as well as heal it.
- For fighting against signs of ageing, mix potato juice with 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. It will work wonders.
- Potatoes also provide nourishment to your hair. Prepare a hair mask with potato juice, aloe vera juice and coconut oil. It will make your hair shiny, strong and lustrous.
Thus, though potatoes are always blamed for being a major cause of weight gain, it is a nature’s miracle for your healthy and beautiful skin. It works against the major skin problems such as sunburn, freckles, blemishes, pigmentation, wrinkles, fine lines and darkening.
If it is applied with proper care and quantity, then it will act as a significant agent to improve your skin complexion.